Site Navigation » Counseling » Counseling Services - Mental Health & Social Emotional Support

Counseling Services - Mental Health & Social Emotional Support

Students and families needing mental health and social emotional counseling services have the following services available. 
- School Counselor, Mrs. Garcia 
- PUSD School Psychologist Hotline - (559) 615 - 5414
- PUSD Evening Counseling Services - See flyer below with more information
Porterville Youth Service is serving our families with medical or no insurance who have emotional or behavioral concerns. Please reach out to them or us if you are interested in their services. Please take a look at the flyer below in Spanish or English for more information. 

Porterville Unified School District

Evening Counseling Services


            The Special Services Department offers evening counseling services to Porterville Unified School District students, their parents, and families whose emotional and/or behavioral issues are interfering with their school performance.  This service is offered after school and after work hours to accommodate parental schedules and provide a service that may be more accessible than is available through other public and private resources. 


When is the service available?

Appointments are available on Tuesday evenings from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm.


What kind of referrals are appropriate?

The purpose of the counseling program is to enhance and support the home-school partnership to improve the student’s school performance and social/emotional success.  Appropriate referrals, therefore, are for social and emotional issues that have a negative impact on student performance and school functioning and are amenable to short-term intervention.


Is there a cost involved?

No.  This is a counseling service that is available to any district student and family.


Who will provide the counseling?

Porterville Unified School District employee John Lehmann will provide the counseling.  Mr. Lehmann is a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist and Licensed Educational Psychologist.  Mr. Lehmann is a retired School Psychologist with many years of experience in education and community mental health.


How can I make a referral?

Referrals should be screened by the school psychologist assigned to the school to ensure that they are appropriate.  Questions regarding referrals can also be directed to John Lehmann via email:  [email protected]


PARENT RESOURCES: Tulare County Office of Education - Behavioral Health Services